Scaling Up Your Business and Culture: A Conversation with Jon Berghoff about Where to Begin
In this episode, Jon Berghoff, and I discuss how business owners can start the process of scaling your business without becoming overwhelmed by the many tactics, tricks, and tools that seem too much to manage. Jon helped to scale up his division at Vitamix from to 175 to 600 people and from 40 million to 180 million in sales in just three years! Listen as Jon lays out several proven strategies in scale, growth, and culture that will work for your business as you take it to the next level.
In this episode, you will discover:
- The stages you must go through in scaling up your company.
- Why growing your company starts first with knowing your company values (Jon calls them “value propositions”) by getting feedback from your customers.
- How you must be crystal clear on the economics of your business decisions. You must figure out how you will become profitable very early on.
- Why it is a high priority that your customers experience a consistent (and exceptional) brand experience through the stages of your company’s growth.
- Simple technique to creating a visual depiction, known as a “customer experience map” or journey.
- The three questions every business owner must know the answers to for each stage of a customer’s experience: What is the customer thinking? What is the customer feeling? And, what you
- are doing internally as a company to move the customer to thinking and feeling what you want them to think and feel in each stage of their experience?
- The fastest way to lose consistent brand experience when growing from a small team to a big team.
- Why your role as business owner is to shape and reshape the company’s culture through your employees’ conversations with each other.
- Why honoring your employees’ strengths collectively will allow them to perform at their highest levels and in harmony with each other.
- Data showing that seven out of every ten employees in the U.S. are disengaged from their companies.
- The art of facilitated dialog and how it allows employees to create their own ideal future.
- How to flip the conversation and create the exceptional in your business, by a new paradigm called, Appreciative Inquiry.
- Jeff Hoffman, author, Scale: Seven Proven Principles to Grow Your Business and Get Your Life Back (2014)
- Marcus Buckingham, author, Now, Discover Your Strengths (2001)
- Frederick Winslow Taylor, author, The Principles of Scientific Management (2014 reprint of 1911 edition)
- Jon Berghoff wants you to friend him on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jon.berghoff
- Third Annual Best Year Ever Blueprint Event, December 9-11, 2016, San Diego, California
- Miracle Morning Event in Chicago, June 2016
- Appreciative Inquiry Paradigm
- Cracking the Millennial Code: An Interview with Javier Montes
- Discover Your Talents: An Interview with Don Hutcheson
- The hidden secret to changing your life in less than 10 minutes a day: Interview with Julianna Raye
- Increase Your Website Conversions: An Interview with Chris Dayley
- What comes first: Fulfillment or Success? An Interview with Chris Plough